Land O’Frost has a summer internship opportunity for a talented, self-motivated individual that will support the Food Safety / Quality team to consistently meet product specification requirements; comply with USDA regulations and requirements, and maintain the highest standard of quality and food safety of our products. This position works collaboratively across the Food Safety / Quality department providing a meaningful practical hands-on experience across the areas of quality, food safety, plant operations, and sanitation.
Our intern program runs for 10 weeks (May-August). All internships are paid and housing assistance is available. During the internship, you will gain exposure to the business through weekly connect calls with various leaders of the organization. You will have the opportunity to present your learnings to our Senior Leadership team.
YOU WILL LEARN TO:
- Plan and organize cuttings, analyze results and distribute reports to select personnel.
- Perform analytical analysis on products produced within the plant, analyze results and distribute reports
- Learn how to maintain accurate lab records and verify the accuracy of testing samples, learn to submit samples, and interpret results.
- Utilize basic statistics and related quality/food safety tools to monitor, measure and interpret process metric results.
- Research and compile data on consistency of product quality, compliance to regulatory agency requirements, and documentation of HACCP.
- Furnish appropriate accurate verbal and/or written reports to Food Safety, Quality and plant operation team regarding product/process quality and consistency, research test, process capabilities, USDA situations, HACCP.
- Interact with sanitation management, Food Safety, Quality Assurance, production supervisors, and employees.
- Monitor run charts for process measures; identify special causes, trends, etc. Utilize the info to the audit process and propose direction for continuous improvement.
- Work with management in identifying the cost of quality opportunities and measuring cost savings due to process improvements.
- Actively pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Food Safety, Food/Meat Science, Quality Assurance, or related field.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Full-time availability from May to August
- Overall understanding of quality and/or food safety-related concepts.
- Basic knowledge of pathogens-Listeria, Salmonella, E-Coli
- Basic knowledge of Food Manufacturing, SQF, SOP, HACCP, and GMPs.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects.
- Strong team player, ability to work with diverse cross-functional teams
- Creative problem solver; able to work independently to produce quality results.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
Apply for job
To apply for this job, please email our Human Resources representative your resume and cover letter by clicking apply now below.