As the Packaging Engineer, you will have the opportunity to drive results and desired outcomes by applying troubleshooting, root cause finding, corrective action, and problem-solving skills. This role will oversee projects involving new packaging technologies, line extensions, package/product improvement, manage packaging and equipment projects through the design plan, validation, and implementation stage. You will work closely with plant management, CI resources, vendors, and contractors to deliver cost-effective solutions.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL OVERSEE:
- Lead packaging engineering projects through the R&D development process includes package development, film, trays, or pouches. Work with procurement, marketing, and graphic design teams to ensure the successful commercialization of packaging projects.
- Creation of packaging material and equipment specifications for new to market product lines. Maintain current line capabilities and limitations, act as the subject matter expert (SME) for all package design questions.
- Design and develop prototypes to demonstrate the feasibility and provide renderings for new product concepts. Stay current on the packaging industry and equipment trends and innovations.
- Execute packaging projects (new packaging equipment line extensions etc.) in alignment with business units and new product development.
MATERIAL OPTIMIZATION AND INNOVATION
- Provide packaging development support to current and innovative packages.
- Identify cost-saving opportunities to maintain and optimize the use of existent packaging materials and product lines.
- Maintain vendor relationships and partner with key suppliers to drive cost savings.
- Reduced packaging costs from new materials/processes and faster execution and simplified processes.
- Conceptualize new packaging or packaging processes that solve consumer and customer problems inconvenience, shelf life, utility, distribution, and on-shelf appearance.
- Partner with procurement in identifying packaging suppliers.
PACKAGING EQUIPMENT OPTIMIZATION
- Partner with Operations teams to identify equipment and perform feasibility assessments for new packaging systems.
- Identify and implement innovative packaging solutions resulting in improvements in the performance of existing packaging.
- Maintain a technical understanding of materials and equipment. Food safety/safety design and cross-functional knowledge.
- Engineering resource for the assigned manufacturing facility, including capital project plans and cross-functional technical resources.
- Bachelors in Packaging Engineering or related field OR 7 years experience with meat packaging equipment and flexible films
- 2+ years of experience in packaging with a CPG required.
- Knowledge of food packaging machinery/processes and application to the product development process.
- Lean or Six Sigma Training preferred.
- Ability to manage cross-functional projects in collaboration with other departments (Operations, Safety, Quality, Food Safety, R&D, etc.)
- Prior experience mapping out processes and conduct root-cause analyses for assigned projects with limited guidance.
Apply for job
To apply for this job, please email our Human Resources representative your resume and cover letter by clicking apply now below.