Kebabs are a quick, impressive way to serve dinner in the summer. You can prepare them in advance, and they will be ready in minutes on the grill. Your neighbors will envy the delicious smells coming from your backyard with these helpful hints.
Kebab Preparation Tips
- Use reusable metal skewers or bamboo versions that have been soaked in water for an hour before threading ingredients.
- Place meats like chicken, beef and shrimp on their own skewers for best results, since each cooks at a different rate.
- Cut ingredients evenly, about one- to two-inch chunks so that everything cooks at the same rate.
- Marinate the meat before you place it on the kebab for maximum flavor. Get some simple recipes in the section below!
- Alternate vegetables on the skewer to make it visually appealing.
- Fruits also make wonderful kebabs, especially when grilled. Give pineapple or peaches a try, and brush them with a little honey before grilling.
- Place delicate vegetables like mushrooms and cherry tomatoes on their own skewers to ensure they don’t overcook.
- Skewer fruits and appetizers to create a colorful display. Layer strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, green grapes and blueberries, or alternate mozzarella balls, grape tomatoes and basil leaves. No cooking required!
If it’s rainy or cold outside, bring the kebab grilling indoors! Just use a grill pan on the stovetop.
Marinade Recipe Suggestions
Before threading a variety of ingredients on skewers, let the meats marinate in a delicious blend of seasonings before grilling. Just place the meat and ingredients below in a plastic bag and refrigerate for three to 24 hours.
- Simple: Blend two parts olive oil with 1/2 part balsamic vinegar and desired seasonings.
- Asian-Inspired: Combine one part honey, one part soy sauce, two parts olive oil, grated fresh ginger, minced garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Fresh: Mix one part fresh lemon juice with two parts olive oil and desired seasonings.
Now that you have the kebab basics, try different combinations of meats, vegetables, fruits and marinades, and let your imagination soar!